Red Mangrove Seedling, natural filter - BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE!
Buy as many as you'd like, and for each one, you get one free! For example if you purchase 10, you'll get a total of 20 Mangroves. For aquariums, to see a noticeable difference in nitrate reduction, we recommend one Mangrove for each gallon of water. Make sure at least 1/2 to 1/4 of the upper top portion of the plant, including its leaves or leaf bud is out of the water, when adding to your aquarium.
We only offer the beautiful Red Hawaiian Mangrove Species. We don't sell the Florida species of Mangrove, which is more commonly sold online in the aquarium trade. Some of the other less expensive Mangroves offered in the trade are simply tubers with no roots, and are difficult to germinate and grow.
The Red Mangrove Tree can be planted in the sand, or in between rocks in an illuminated open top aquarium, sump or refugium. The roots will quickly take hold in either a sandy substrate or in live rock. Lighting can be provided for these plants through the side of a metal halide, or directly under fluorescents. Provide lighting with a light spectrum minimum in the range of 6000 - 8000 Kelvin.
In order to grow, mangroves absorb nutrients from the water, this helps lower nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium. They export the excess salt and unneeded nutrients through their leaves.
Tips & Other Uses For Mangroves:
- When leaves are dropped from the plant, promptly remove them so they are not allowed to decay in the aquarium.
- If properly cared for, this species of red mangrove can grow in freshwater, brackish and saltwater. They are also suitable for water gardens and ponds in the Southern States where they won't be exposed to near freezing weather conditions.
- When planting in an aquarium, make sure the leaves are above the waterline.
- The general care for these plants includes wiping excess salt from the leaves with fresh water a few times per week. These plants will benefit from the regular addition of an aquarium safe iron supplement, and trace elements.
- Mangroves can also be used in Red Eared Slider turtle habitats to help keep their water cleaner, while creating a natural looking environment for the turtle.
- For Betta and Goldfish Bowl keepers: Mangrove seedlings in a glass bowl or glass block with mangroves and glass marbles will make for a beautiful display.
- By using a small suction cup and a cable tie, you can keep your mangrove tops above water. Alternately you can use a piece of styrofoam and cut indentations / holes in it to hold the mangrove in the upright position.
View, A Guide to the Ecology and Care of Mangroves
by Julian Sprung PDF. Opens in a new window for your viewing pleasure.
All pictures and descriptions are generalizations and cannot be exact representations, however, you will definitely receive a healthy red mangrove seedling.
NOTE: When these mangrove seedlings are available they sell fast. If you see Pre-Order showing above, it means we are currently out of stock. The out of stock wait time is typically 7-10 days. You are encouraged to Pre-Order, to guarantee you'll receive some before they sell out again, and to lock-in the current sale price. Upon restocking, we'll notify you as to when it will be shipped and when to expect delivery.
- Remove the plants from the shipping material and gently rinse them in room temperature dechlorinated fresh or tank water. This will remove any extraneous contaminants, and allows the plants to breathe. They should be slowly and carefully introduced to their new environment.
Place them in a vase/container (with just a little room temperature reverse osmosis or filtered bottle water) in a low-lit room for a few hours, then at night when your aquarium lights are off place them in the aquarium. For saltwater aquariums, add at least 2 oz of your aquarium water every hour for a few hours prior to adding them to your saltwater aquarium. Make sure at least 1/2 to 1/4 of the upper top portion of the plant, including its leaves are out of the water, when adding to your aquarium.
Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
|OCReef's 6 oz Bottle of Live Copepods
OCReef's Live Marine Copepods / Amphipods 6 oz bottle/container - Active and juicy Live Pods are perfect for hard to feed saltwater fish like Mandarin Dragonets, Scooter Blennies, Lined Wrasse, Pipefish, Seahorses, Corals, and many other species. read more...