Kent Marine Marine Biosediment 12 lb (1 Gallon)
Considerations for use:
Directions for use:
- Marine Biosediment may be used as a substrate in reef and fish-only marine aquariums, African Cichlid Tanks, or for use in refugiums and mud filtration systems.
- Kent Marine Biosediment is a substrate composed of minerals typically found in and around tropical reefs. It is a blend of completely suitable materials, and contains no silicates, organics, phosphate, or nitrogen!
- The average particle size of these minerals is in accordance to natural reef sediment composition, particularly that present in reef flats and lagoons, where aquatic vegetation is both prevalent and important to the reef ecosystem as a whole.
- The benefits of using Marine Biosediment are numerous: macroalgae, mangrove seedlings, and turtle grass have the proper substrate composition in which to gain purchase, the collective density of the substrate is conducive to rapid denitrification (with time, bacteria naturally remove nitrate), and the metabolic products of bacteria facilitate a slow rate of mineral dissolution, releasing calcium, magnesium, strontium, potassium, carbonate, sulfate, and trace elements to the systemís inhabitants.
- For maximum effectiveness, place Marine Biosediment in a refugium and provide only enough water flow so as to prevent sediment from being lifted into the water column. This product will dissolve very slowly over the course of time; it is recommended that new Marine Biosediment be added yearly to replace that which has dissolved.
- Small sand-sifting fishes and invertebrates such as sleeper gobies, burrowing worms, crustaceans, echinoderms, and mollusks can be housed directly with Marine Biosediment, as their surface-sifting action may enhance denitrification in lower layers.
Read Use and Interaction on opposite label. Employ about 5 pounds of Marine Biosediment for every 25 gallons of actual water volume in the entire system. For use in refugiums and mud filters (recommended), the depth of the Biosediment should be 3Ė4" for optimal denitrification; in display aquariums in which Marine Biosediment is the sole substrate, itís not recommended that the depth of the Biosediment exceed 2". It is recommended that this product be placed in dry, clean aquariums or refugiums before water is added to avoid unnecessary turbidity. Slowly add water to the desired height, then anchor algae in place; allow 2Ė3 hours for any cloudiness to clear up before turning on pumps. Caution! Not for human consumption. Keep out of reach of children!
A heavy shipping surcharge fee of $7.00 is added along with the regular shipping fee to defray heavy fee shipping costs. However our price is still less than most stores.
Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days